Be sure to check out our Store for a complete listing of all our products!

Teach Me To Talk at Home – Learning Language in Daily Routines on “Teach Me To Talk with Laura and Kate”

Join Kate and me this week for Teach Me To Talk with Laura and Kate on Thursday, January 29 at 6:00 pm Eastern time for a NEW topic.

This week we’re going to tell you EXACTLY how to target language at home in your daily routines. Listen as Kate and I walk you through a typical day and give you TONS of ideas for working on understanding and using words during meals, snacks, bathtime, dressing, playtime, bedtime, and any other “normal” part of your routine at home.

Teaching language doesn’t have to be a separate activity that you set aside time for.You can workon learning language during virtually EVERY waking hour for you and your child at home. All it takes are some new ideas and a little commitment on your part! Join us to see what a difference you can make!

Please call us with your questions or comments. Our call-in number is 1-718-766-4332. We’d love to hear from you!

You can listen live by clicking this icon. Listen to Teach Me To Talk with Laura and Kate on internet talk radio

If you can’t join us live, you can always listen later anytime using the blogtalkradio icon in the right hand column or on the home page.

Our show is also available for FREE download on itunes. Visit the itunes store and search “Teach Me to Talk with Laura and Kate.” For you itunes novices, choose subscribe, and the show will download so you can listen later with your ipod.

Hope you’ll join us! Laura

Posted in

1. Chanel on August 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Speech therapist may also work on feeding , I haven’t heard you talk about children with feeding issues

2. Laura on August 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Chanel – Do you have specific questions about feeding with your child? I’ll be glad to help you if you’ll send me something specific. SLPs are certainly qualified to treat feeding issues. Previously in my career I worked with lots of children with feeding problems, but in the last few years I’ve chosen to focus strictly on early speech-language delays and disorders. Thanks for asking. Laura

3. mmeyer on May 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Hi. I am a slp working with children 0-3. Love your website and podcasts, I referr to it often. I was wondering if there are any workshops/courses that you would recomend for my CEUs? Wondering if you have any ideas for courses that focus on this age group.

4. Laura on May 12, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Actually SLP MMeyer…. I am very excited to announce that I am going to be offering continuing ed courses specifically tailored to SLPs and other therapists working with babies and toddlers birth to 4 beginning in late summer in Indiana and then likely several dates and locations east of the Mississippi this fall into winter.

As soon as an event is finalized, I’ll be posting info here on the website and then talking about it on the podcasts. I hope that you and other SLPs will chime in and let me know what kinds of info you want to hear in these conferences. Watch for a post with my course outline to follow in the next few weeks as we get ready to announce our schedule. I hope I’m coming near you, and that you’ll come to see me 🙂

5. shirleyl on March 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm

dear laura my son has a language delay, and he is 29 mnts he only talks in mostly gibberish and a few words (about 7 words) and he uses them in the right context. My question is how to get him to speak more real words? He only seems to talk when he wants to and not when I promt him to e.g. (like saying thankyou) I really need ur help please I do not know whatelse to do. I affraid that he wont be able to progress if he continues to act this way

6. Laura on March 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Shirley – Is he in speech therapy? It certainly sounds like he qualifies based on what you’ve said. You can get information about your state’s program by Googling your state name and the phrase Early Intervention. The services are usually low cost compared to what you’d pay privately or free.

He has to UNDERSTAND language before he’s able to use those words to talk. How does he follow directions for you? Does he look at what you’re talking about?

How connected is he socially? If he’s still “doing his own thing” most of the time, then he’s not developmentally ready to learn language yet. You’ll have to teach him how to want to regularly interact with people.

Have you checked out my DVDs and therapy manual? While you’re waiting on speech therapy to start, those materials will teach you what to do at home.

Thanks for your question! Laura