Teach Me To Talk – The Therapy Manual

Teach Me To Talk:  The Therapy Manual is the go-to resource for speech therapy for toddlers. Pediatric speech-language pathologists RAVE about this manual in courses and follow-up emails! This best-selling therapyTeach Me To Talk Therapy Manual manual is essential for any speech-language pathologist, developmental therapist, early intervention specialist or other EI professional who treats toddlers with communication delays and disorders.

Although not an academic text, Teach Me To Talk: The Therapy Manual is used by SLP grad programs throughout the USA and around the world in their Infant Toddler courses!

The full title for this book is Teach Me To Talk – The Therapy Manual: A Comprehensive Guide for Treating Receptive and Expressive Language Delays/Disorders in Toddlers and Young Preschoolers. Every language milestone from under 12 months until age 4 is included in this resource.

The practical treatment manual is divided into 2 parts.

Part I includes the background information to make sure you understand WHY you’re doing what you do in sessions! You’ll learn the overall philosophy, rationale, and treatment hierarchy recommended for successful language therapy with toddlers for the developmental areas of social, cognitive, and both receptive and expressive language skills.

Part II outlines a comprehensive list of therapy goals with highly detailed instructions for targeting each milestone in sessions with a variety of activity ideas. Specific recommendations are provided to help you tie each goal to realistic and practical carry-over “homework” for parents and caregivers.

The last two chapters contain activity recommendations based on the KINDS of play we use in therapy and when/why to use those categories and then finally a few problem solving examples to help pull together all of the information.

Two sample treatment session outlines are provided along with specific toy recommendations so you can make sure you’re planning successful and realistic sessions for toddlers.

Multiple charts and “hand outs” are provided throughout the manual, not only your professional reference, but to share with families, caregivers, and other therapists you’re mentoring.

The regular price is $54.00.

Order Here

Save more when you purchase this manual in addition to other products! Check out The Therapy Manual Combo Pack which is perfect for SLPs building their resource libraries and sharpening their clinical skills.

If you’re new to  teachmetotalk.com, you may prefer to purchase this therapy manual along with Teach Me To Talk the DVD so that you can also watch therapy sessions with toddlers. Many new SLPs or SLPs who are new to early intervention and pediatrics report that “seeing” sessions with young children was more helpful to get them going or provide a needed refresher than any other professional development activity they pursued. Order that set here.

Read Feedback from SLPs:

“Your Therapy Manual is my EI Bible!”

“I believe your therapy manual is better entitled “The important things you need to know but didn’t learn in graduate school.” The information presented in your manual so beautifully combines theory with practical application. It has helped me understand language development more thoroughly and most importantly the prerequisite skills which I have seen so many times forgotten about.”

“Received Laura’s new manual this weekend. I am a seasoned SLP with 34 rewarding years experience with school aged kiddos. I am retiring from my school position in 2 weeks and have already been hired by a wonderful Early Intervention agency… in Pittsburgh. This manual is absolutely fantastic! Extremely organized and tons of functional fun activities for our speech and language delayed “wee ones”. Thank you Laura for sharing your expertise! Great job!”

“Laura – I just wanted to let you know I’ve had a great week. The OT I work for has stated several times this week that I seem like a different clinician with fun new stuff!! I feel like I have talked to parents more effectively and had more fun. I’m a about a third of the way through your new book and I am glad it repeats some of the things I learned last Friday in your conference. I love the way you have the information organized. Thanks once again.”

“Laura, Thank you for writing your newest book! I’m half way done with it, and I have sooo many new ideas. You have given great examples to use in several of the areas I struggle with targeting. I also love your ideas for getting parents involved. Every EI therapist should read this book!!!!!!”

Order Here

**While this project is written for professionals, many committed parents use the information to guide their home programming. Moms who have not had access to quality services (including parents who live outside the USA) have reported that this was their best resource for understanding not only what to work on with their children with language delays, but why and how SLPs select goals and implement strategies in specific play activities with toddlers.**

Feedback from parents:

“I have used the ideas listed in your Teach Me To Talk Therapy Manual at home with my son when I felt like I had no where else to turn. Although he is getting some therapy at school, it is not enough for him. I wanted to work with him at home, but I didn’t know how until I watched your DVD and then read this book. I could find ideas in blogs or on Pinterest but I didn’t always know how to make it flow like therapy would. Your book has helped me know that. Now while he is at school I try to pick out something for us to do when he gets home in the afternoon. I have seen a big, big difference in him since I started doing this and I know it’s what has made the difference.”  Sarah – from Utah

Comments

1. Erika says

Just ordered your new book and I can’t wait to get it in the mail. Thanks again for all of your helpful information on your website, DVDs, and books!

Thanks Erika!! I have been swamped this week, so it was so nice to read positive feedback! I love doing the podcasts, and again, it gives me incentive to keep on plowing ahead when I know that it’s helpful. Laura

3. Corrin says

Hi Laura – I’ve changed my email address since I ordered your book Teach Me To Talk-The Therapy Manual on 5/1/11 – I have not yet received it & was wondering if you could update me on the status of the order. My order # is 222923543646736. I’m really looking forward to receiving it! Thanks!

Hi Corrin. I just sent you an email too, but I’ll answer your question here on the website since I’ve received a couple of emails asking about this. The book has been on pre-sale. The release date is Monday, May 16, and all orders will ship on that day, barring any disasters between now and then! I’m glad you’re looking forward to it!! Laura

5. Kim says

Will the manuals be available at the training sessions? I am attending the Nashville site and was hoping to purchase a manual @ the training. Thanks!

For Facebook fans of teachmetotalk.com: Enter the code BOOK to save $8 on this therapy manual. The coupon expires on 6/1/11. Not a Facebook fan yet? Click ‘Like’ on the column on the right!

7. Grace says

My son is almost 6 years old and has ASD, sensory processing disorder, non verbal and developmentally delayed. I would like to purchase either your books or DVDs, but I am unsure if these are more geared toward toddlers? Do you think it will be ok to purchase these items anyway?

8. Sheila says

Are you offering any discounts/sale prices on your materials that I should know about, for myself & parents?

9. Le Shor says

Is there any way to purchase both the Teach Me to Talk Therapy book and the Teach Me to Play with you, so that the both ship at the same time?

10. Virginia says

I’m a psychologist from the Philippines. My son has problems with speech articulation. What book would you recommend? Is there any store in our country where I can directly buy the book…

11. fleur turner says

Hi Laura I would like to purchase your manual and teach me to talk dvd. I live in australia and having trouble buyimg it.

cheers,

fleur

12. Mary says

I am putting my son into speech therapy since he is delayed. Were still going through more evaluations(Another Hearing test, Possibly evaluation for Autism)This is all so overwhelming and I’m not sure where to start other than searching internet articles and trying to educate myself. My friend recommended this website and I’m not sure which DVD and/or Book I should start out with. My son is 22 months. He uses non-verbal communications to get what he wants rather than words. He just started responding to his name and its a hit or miss. He doesn’t understand simple directions like put on shoes or jacket. Can you please help point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Hi Mary. I know it’s overwhelming for you, but you’re doing the right thing by educating yourself and looking for resources. I always recommend that parents start with my first DVD Teach Me to Talk because it outlines the basic play based approach. Since he’s having difficulty with receptive language, I’d also recommend Teach Me To Listen and Obey 1 (for now) and 2 (for the next few months when he starts progressing). I’d hold off on the manuals for now, but if he’s not moving along with responding better doing 1:1 interactions the book Teach Me To Play WITH You has some fabulous ideas. Everything is on sale for a few more days, so pick what would be best for you. Read through the articles here on the website too. Most of the “meatier” articles are the oldest ones, so scroll back in each category using the “Older Posts” button until you’re at the beginning article for each category. I also have a weekly podcast where we talk about therapy with toddlers every week. You can listen to the older shows here on the website or download them on iTunes. Check those out in the right column under the icon blogtalkradio. I’m glad you have a friend who is helping point you in the right direction, and even more happy that your little boy has a committed mommy willing to do whatever she can to help him. Good luck to you all! Laura

14. Anonymous says

Hi, I just found this website this week and have been absolutely fascinated. I have a 15(almost 16 month old) girl who has not said her first word yet (she can babble mama dada, baba etc but she has not connected any words to meanings yet). I have been VERY concerned since she was 9 months old that she was getting behind in her milestones regarding speech (it took her awhile to even start consonant babbling)but can get noone to listen to me because I’m a first time mom (though educated and older they still consider me paranoid!) I’m not positive but I think her receptive language is pretty good, she understands simple requests and follows them, responds to her name at least 80% of the time, and knows who several people are (daddy, grandma, the dog etc). She points (with her whole hand to show interest and when she wants something, or to whatever I ask her to point to) and she signs eat, please, and today just started signing “milk”. She smiles and interacts and plays games and instigates games. Though she doesn’t play much with toys, she WILL give hugs and kisses to stuffed animals and crawls up to her rocking horse to pat it and give it kisses. At her 15 month check up SUDDENLY the doctor is concerned because she’s “globally delayed” (based on the fact that she won’t take more then a few steps by herself and hasn’t said any words yet? I wish he would make up his mind to worry about her or not!) He insists on “wait and see” on everything but I insisted on speech therapy for the speech and wouldn’t take no for an answer. I’ve been given the run around since then though as we go through the process of getting a referral (they accidentally asked for the WRONG referral etc) and am STILL waiting to even get a hearing test let alone help with her speech. I tried calling early intervention which here locally is closed until after the holidays (2 more weeks) but I am growing increasingly concerned because the longer I wait to get help the more frantic I feel to help her yet don’t know what else to do. I’m trying everything I can think of and we play LOTS with her, try reading, etc etc…but I don’t know what else to do. I’m on a pretty fixed income (run my own business in this economy, ugh!) and want to get something that will help, but not sure what to get? I can probably only do one item for now, would you suggest the manual or the dvd for teach me to talk? I like the idea of the manual because I can reference it a bit easier, but at this point I just want to try anything that may help. any suggestions if you had to choose one item that could help what I should start with??? (particularly between the manual and the dvd?

Trackbacks