My guest for this podcast is SLP Monae Maruyama (of Monae’s House) who will be sharing her best back to school ideas for toddlers and preschoolers. Monae practices in a public school setting and specializes in preschool-aged children. Her passion is for our little friends with autism and significant language delays. Listen as she talks about her lesson plans for September.
You can find all of Monae’s darling materials for back to school (and MORE!) in her Teachers Pay Teachers store Monae’s Speech House.
My favorite tips from Monae were:
- Get kids excited about seeing you! Do that by being fun and animated!
- Don’t place too many expectations on young preschoolers at the beginning of the year. You want to keep them happy and engaged. Being too demanding can drive them away from you, especially initially.
- Use visuals when you’re leading small groups of children to capture and keep their attention – not just your words. This is extremely important for young children with language delays!! Monae uses puppets and lots of posters as she leads her groups.
- Routines are powerful! Even though you change your content, keep the framework of the session predictable!
- Music is appealing! Sing!! Routinely use music in your sessions.
- Apps are fine when used sparingly! Prioritize face to face interaction with other people – teachers and children.
- Wrap up group time by pointing out the positives. Praise each child with something they did RIGHT.
Other ways to read about Monae’s work:
Her BLOG is filled great ideas for back to school!
See her cute series of books for early readers at ATTAINMENT BOOKS.
Find her on FACEBOOK and see her beautiful sunsets and sunrises on Instagram!