Ditch the Bells, Whistles, Flashing Lights, DVDs, & ABCs! Choosing Toys for Babies and Toddlers

As a pediatric speech-language pathologist, I am constantly on a quest for new toys to “WOW” my little friends and keep them engaged in play. My grown-up friends spend their free time getting massages, shopping for clothes in quaint boutiques, or scouring antique malls for deals to furnish and accessorize their fabulous homes. Not me. I spend most of my shopping time digging through bins in children’s consignment stores and on the toy aisles of the giant retailers.

Since I have been in private practice for the last 10 years, no one else buys my supplies, so consequently, I own lots of toys. A whole 10 x 15 storage room full of toys in addition to the ones that fill the back of my SUV at any given time. This makes me a toy expert of sorts since I have “field tested” many toy winners and losers while playing with my one- and two-year old friends. Their parents are often saddened that they are animated and talkative during our one hour speech therapy visits, and then they don’t say much at all when playing by themselves during the rest of the week. They question me asking, “What makes your toys so much more appealing than the hundred or so we already own?”

As I’ve stated many times here on this site, having a plugged-in, FUN adult sit down to play WITH a kid is much more exciting than playing alone with even the best toy. Often times the difference in a child’s affect and interaction is simply due to the fact that I am playing one-on-one with the toddler with no other distractions (other than a chatty mom or dad.) Sadly, that hour may be the only truly individual time that some of my little clients get in a week. What kids need more than a whole house full of toys is a caring, connected adult who revels in spending lots of time with them. A basement that resembles Toys R Us cannot replace the value of consistent, one-on-one play time with mommy and daddy. If you need more detailed information about interacting with your late-talking toddler, please read the “What Works” and “What Doesn’t Work” articles for further recommendations. Before you spend one more dime on toys, please make sure that you are carving out time EVERY DAY to play with your baby. There’s little chance that a toddler with developmental delays, including late talking, will catch up with his peers without parents who make individual play time a top priority.

Beyond this, there are some guidelines that parents should use when selecting toys. My first rule is stated in the title of this post, “No bells, whistles, flashing lights, DVDs & ABCs!” The toy manufacturers have it all wrong. They are not correctly utilizing the research we now have about brain development in infancy and through toddlerhood. They are marketing to parents who want to buy their children anything they can to ensure that they turn out to be smart and do well in school. Adults are often tricked into thinking that because a child needs to know his letters and numbers for kindergarten, we better start when he’s 3 months old. Better yet, let’s buy a toy that blinks and flashes letters so he’s sure to pay attention. Even though the flashing lights of a new toy may attract an infant or toddler, there’s often no value beyond initial attention.

Some children become so engrossed in sensory-seeking behaviors with light and sound toys that they miss out on the fun and benefits of more traditional play. All they want to do is find the buttons and press and press and press to the exclusion of interaction with real people or more challenging toys. If your child falls into this category and is already hooked, let the batteries run down and don’t replace them. Some parents don’t like to hear this advice. They struggle with taking away what their child seems to thrive on. It’s up to you, but if you want your child to learn to be more engaged with others, I’d ditch those kinds of toys today (or at least put them on the top shelf of the closet).

Many parents think of DVDs as “educational” playtime. “Edutainment” has become a $600 million dollar industry with $100 million of that from sales of DVDs for infants and toddlers. Cutting-edge research in brain development tells us that quickly changing visual stimuli may actually wire a child’s developing brain to “scan and shift.” One neuroscientist has hypothesized that habitual television and video viewing for infants and toddlers may be the reason for the surge in childhood ADD in our country. See the post titled “No Television” on this site for more information.

I blew this one with my own children. They are grown now, so we didn’t have access to this information then. Our oldest child was the only one who really begged to watch movies and television, so we let him. I’m embarrassed to say that as a young mother struggling through a masters degree with a two children under three, Disney movies and Nickelodeon frequently filled our tiny, married student housing apartment. Our younger two children watched for a few minutes here and there as they busied themselves with better play, but we still turned children’s television on as “background noise” often. Thankfully none of our children were diagnosed with ADD, but MILLIONS of other children have been.

If God ever chose to bless us with another child (after I first picked myself up off the floor from shock), I would stick with the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation for no television viewing or any other “screen time” for babies under 2, and I’d be mighty careful during the rest of their preschool years. The research is that impressive to me. If you too have really messed up with this one, you may find some consolation in my favorite quote from Maya Angelou. To paraphrase her, “When I knew better, I did better.” It’s not too late to kick or at least reduce this habit.

Lastly, I absolutely HATE toys for infants and toddlers with the main purpose of teaching the alphabet or numbers. If you’re a frequent visitor to this site, you’ve read my previous rants about this. This includes all of the computer-like toys and games and even the ones for the real computer for kids under 3. There is no reason you need to overtly teach numbers and letters to babies. Period. I can’t find one bit of credible research that supports this practice.

Literacy experts will not disagree on this point. Focusing on teaching the alphabet to your toddler is totally different from reading to him. You should introduce books and stories to your babies. Books with brightly colored photographs and simple story lines are highly recommended as activities to expand your baby’s language and attention skills. However, other kinds of ABC or reading toys are not required in order for your child to grow up to learn to read or to be “smart.” Most of the time, these kinds of toys aren’t? very interesting for babies.

A perfect example of the stupidity of this concept occurred just this past Christmas when I was shopping at Wal-Mart. Of course I was in the toy department shopping not for the young children in my own extended family, but checking out the sales for me! I noticed a mother holding up a stuffed dog with its body parts labeled with giant letters in front of her baby girl who was seated in the cart. Instead of talking to her daughter about the dog or better yet, pretending to bark or pant herself, she held up the dog’s ear which was clearly labeled E-A-R. It was as if the mother expected the baby to read it herself and blurt out, “Ear!” The little girl looked away. At this point I wanted to interject, “Ya’ know, she can’t read that yet,” but I didn’t. I continued to watch as the mother became almost a little agitated. She pursued her daughter’s attention by shaking the dog in front of her face and then very slowly pushed the dog’s nose. The toy’s very mechanical voice responded, “NOSE.”Again the mother said nothing. Consequently neither did the little girl. The baby looked down, grabbed the edge of the seat belt, and lifted it to her mouth to chew. The mother tried one more time to engage the little girl by calling her name and repeatedly shaking the dog right in front of her eyes. The little girl shut her eyes and rubbed her face. When her daughter looked away, the mother, now clearly exasperated, tossed the dog back on the shelf. I wanted to yell to the baby, “Good for you! You resisted the major advertising ploy of printing words on a toy that you can’t and shouldn’t be able to read! The toy almost sucked your mother in, but you showed her how boring and non-purposeful a toy like that it is! Good for you, you smart baby!” Kudos to the mother too because even though she did a poor job of interacting with her baby, she did not purchase a toy her child clearly showed no interest in.

By now you are probably wondering if there are any toys that I do like since I have bashed most of what Target, K-Mart, and all of the other huge retailers carry in their baby and toddler sections. I can definitively answer, “Yes!” There are many toys that are wonderful for stimulating little minds and facilitating language. My specific favorites will be listed in a later post. Until then clean out your toy boxes! Ditch the toys with bells & whistles along with the DVDs and ABCs! If your child could, he would thank you for it.

Posted in ,

1. Carrie on March 2, 2008 at 10:30 am

Hello! I have really enjoyed reading your website. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource. I can’t seem to find the post about toys you Do recommend. My 22m. old son was recently diagnosed with apraxia and I am looking for suggestions for new, engaging toys. I’ve gotten several multi-part ones already (i.e. wood train set that he gets to add a piece to each time he attempts a word/sound). But I am always looking for more suggestions to keep it fresh for him. Thank you!!

2. Laura on March 2, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for your compliments Carrie! The reason you can’t find the list of toys I use for therapy is because it’s not posted yet! I have 3 articles that are still in draft form, and that’s one of them. (The others are Therapy Ideas for Kids with Apraxia and Combining Words into Phrases.) Please check back by mid-week! I hope to have them all posted by then! Laura

3. Tonya on March 6, 2008 at 3:41 pm

my 18 month old is just starting to enter EI for a speech delay. I must say I find your entire site to be very informative. I have lots of questions and your site helped me find answers. I am really looking forward to your “list of toys” …thanks so much! Tonya

4. Laura on March 7, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Tonya – Thanks so much for your feedback! I am working on that post for toys, I promise! My real life keeps geting in the way of posting articles as soon as I’d like! Laura

5. Denise Sims on July 24, 2008 at 11:57 pm

My infant with the corrected age of 4 months has been diagnosed with CP and we have been told by her neurologist, that she will experience problems with her motor, language and social skills. There will be a delay in her language and it will be through labored speech due to the area of the brain affected. First Steps (Physical Therapy) has involved since we brought her home from the hospital. Have you had the opportunity to prepare the list of recommended toys and would you be able to include when they are age appropriate? I was just referred to your website from a client of yours and I am impressed with the site. I anticipate frequent visits. Also, do you take clients in Harrison County (Corydon, Indiana)? We are working on getting my daughter into speech due to some problems we are experiencing with her cereal feedings. There are no speech therapists in our area at this time. First Steps is working with getting an OT that specializing in speech motor skills (?). Any advice will help on this issue. Thank you for your time!

6. Laura on July 25, 2008 at 5:49 am

Denise – Thanks so much for your comments and questions. I do not have the recommended toys listed in any age sequence, but I am working on a whole body of information about play for our 4th DVD – Teach Me To Play – scheduled to shoot late in the year.

What I would advise is to work closely with your current physical therapist with toys she feels are developmentally appropriate to facilitate her gross and fine motor development, and emphasize the language appropriate for each toy through labeling words, actions, and locations (in, out, on) and teaching her new concepts as she matures.

Thanks so much for asking, but I do not see children in Corydon. I hope you are able to work with your service coordinator to find someone who specializes in feeding. You might consider taking her in to the feeding team at U of L or an SLP or OT at Kosair and use their strategies until you can get an OT or SLP to see you at home. Also check out the feeding websites I recommend from the article on feeding on our home page.

It’s nice to see a mother being so proactive for her daughter! Good luck to you all! God bless! Laura

7. Yvonne on August 19, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I’m slowly making my way through all your articles. You have a great deal of fabulous information!!!!! As an SLP I especially appreciate this article. If I hear “aaaa-b-c-aaaaaaaa-b-aaaaa” from one more of those silly “to be unnamed” phonics/alphabet toys I’m chucking it out the window! 🙂 If they have to make it, why can’t they at least put a stop mechanism on it, so that it plays the entire alphabet even if the child hits the button 20 times?

8. Brook on October 20, 2008 at 11:04 am

Thank you for putting together this website. Then information you provide is concise and valuable. I have shared the link with lots of my friends.

9. Laura on October 20, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Thanks so much Brook and Hillary! Laura

"I purchased the book on autism and have watched the #400s series podcasts. Laura Mize has been more effective in teaching autistic tendencies, than many professors, shadowing professions, and the 100s of books, articles and classes or videos, or live workshop speakers, have been at teaching effective practices for a child with ASD. Some of the many lessons she has taught, which I will now use, to be a more effective Interventionist, include but are not limited to: red flags, typical behaviors, self-stimulating behaviors, not taking away toys, rather showing child to play with toy appropriately. She gives examples of child's actions, "inappropriate," explains the reason for: why the child is engaging in these behaviors and how they can be replaced with more appropriate, effective fuctional and age-appropriate skills."

"I’m sure Laura gets these messages all the time, but I thought I’d share. I stumbled across Laura‘s "Autism or Speech Delay?" YouTube video when I really needed it. This video finally listed and explained some of the red flags my son was showing for autism. I share the link anytime a parent is questioning in my FB autism group. This mother I don’t even know said Laura's video changed her life. I know exactly how she feels because It changed families too. Thank you to everyone at Teach Me To Talk."

LINDSAY

"Good Morning Laura,
I received your book (The Autism Workbook) yesterday and it is absolutely amazing! As I evaluate young children (0-3) for developmental delays and write plans for them with their parents, there are a ton of ideas that are ready to use. Others that reinforce what I have been doing, and saying, all along. Thank you so, so much for writing this incredible book and pulling everything together in one place!"

FRANCINE IN MICHIGAN

"Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, experience, and guidance.
I’m a parent who bought the autism workbook and it’s the only clear resource I found to make a change in my son. I’m really thankful to Ms. Laura for helping out people like us all over the world."

"Laura Mize, all I have to say is that ALL YOUR STRATEGIES WORK."

ANNE, YouTube viewer

"We have 7 SLPs in our preschool (public) program for special needs children (ages 3-5) and we use your courses, books, and techniques every day! :-) We have seen our preschoolers make such great gains!"