Listen to Our New Podcast…”Teach Me To Talk with Laura and Kate”

I’m so excited to tell you that this weekend we recorded our first show in our brand new podcast “Teach Me To Talk with Laura and Kate.”  I invited my good friend and developmental therapist Kate Hensler to chat with me about apraxia in toddlers. During the show we talked about the characteristics of apraxia in toddlers which help make the diagnosis, successful intervention strategies for parents and professionals, and even ranted a little (okay – a lot) about unsuccessful approaches with kids this age.

I hope that you’ll take some time to listen to our first episode with this player –

Look for an upcoming post with details about our next LIVE show so that you can call in and ask us your own questions about speech-language development in your child. We’re scheduled to record our next program on Friday, August 8 at 2:00 pm Eastern Time. The toll-free call in number is (718) 766-4332, and we’d love to hear from you. We’ll also be listing the link later this week for you to listen live. If you’d like for us to answer your question on air, send me an e-mail or post a comment here. Either way, join us! I can’t wait to hear from you!!!! Laura

Posted in

1. Yvonne on August 4, 2008 at 12:26 am

Laura and Kate,

That was great! Lot’s of good info, and you kept it lively.

I’m looking forward to the next one.

2. barb on August 4, 2008 at 9:13 am

HI – – My granddaughter is almost 45 months and TALKS “not at all” — she makes noises, vowel / consonant … la la la ….. etc. We’ve never heard her say a true WORD … quite a concern. She had an EVAL. when just over 3 and psychol. had her on mild end of Autism spectrum …. frankly, while my husband and I are not trained devel. psychs. etc., we don’t see much real ”’austistic”’ behavior. Occas., melt-downs/tantrums might be the only sign …. she makes decent eye contact, etc. As she understands more, I have to imagine she is Very FRUSTRATED at not being able to communicate in words (actually she does not point, gesture, shake head Yes or No) — her wants/needs are her parents’ GuessingGame …. altho’ I don’t feel many needs go ‘unmet.’
    She has been around few kids her age; she has a brother 22 months who is just about to say some words … her mother had 5-6 words age 18 mos, such as mama, dada, titty (kitty), cock (clock) and by age 2 was saying “No Funny …”
    If someone reading this website, listening to your upcoming Aug. 8 program ** etc. has any SUGGESTIONS, etc. or can relate, I’d love to get an Email <<<
    fesley@aol.com **we live in country and have to use
    DialUp // Videos and some Audio do
    not come in well …. will there be
    Barb any ‘follow-up’ text related to this?

3. Jason on August 4, 2008 at 10:52 am

Laura and Kate–We listened to your podcast and YOU TWO DID A SUPER JOB!!!! Your banter was technical, informative, humorous with a little tension at times. The experience you two have treating children who have language and developmental deficits came through in your voices. You have a great “mix” between the two of you. We listen to several podcasts and they all are from a parents perspective you come at it from the therapists perspective and it really opens up the discussion in a new direction. Your podcast is exactly what we would have expected after reading your blog for as long as we have.

I think you might be onto something here.

:CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP::CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:

4. Laura on August 4, 2008 at 6:15 pm

Thanks so much Jason and Yvonne! We had a blast doing it, and are looking forward to our next show this Friday 8/8/08 at 2:00 Eastern time. Call us if you’d like! Laura

5. Laura on August 4, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Barb – I so feel for your situation with your granddaughter! I mean this in the kindest way possible, and I don’t want to offend you or hurt your feelings, but I hope you understand just how serious it is for her not to be talking at almost 4. From your tone, I can tell that this is a major concern for your entire family.

You didn’t say, but I also hope that she’s going to individual speech therapy as well as a special needs preschool program. With a previous diagnosis of autism, she would definately be eligible for these services. If she’s not going, let me strongly encourage her parents to contact the local school system TODAY to get information about having her enrolled. Again, let me reiterate, not talking at 4 is a very, very serious issue. Language is what ALL of our academic success is built on. It’s so important that she make major improvements this year, or she’s not going to be anywhere near ready for a regular kindergarten program next year.

As far as transcripts of our show, we won’t be doing that anytime in the near future. However, there are LOTS of articles on this website that will give you information about working with her at home.

Let me also suggest that you get the DVD so that you can SEE how you should work with her at home. Although she’s a little older than the children in the DVD, the techniques I teach in the DVD are very appropriate for her since she’s not yet talking. This may be a good alternative for you too since listening to the show will be difficult.

Again, let me encourage you to please pursue any services you can for her. Given the information you reported, she has a very, very significant delay. I cannot overstate this enough to you. She needs intensive speech therapy if she’s not getting this already.

PLEASE let me know if there’s any other specific information I can help you find. Her situation breaks my heart. You’ll be in my prayers. Laura

6. Laura on August 5, 2008 at 4:08 pm

I really want to thank you for all the information you are providing to parents as well as speech pathologists (like myself). I have gained so much information from the articles, the DVD and now the web cast. I check each day to see what new information you have in store for me, so I can better help the families that I service. I know this is geared towards families, but if you would ever write about your evaluation process I would really appreciate it. From the bottom of my heart I thank you for making me a better therapist to all my little clients and their families. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for me next!!!!!

7. Laura on August 5, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Laura – Thank YOU so much for your great comment! I always write all of my articles geared not only to parents, but to SLPs too (old and new alike!) with what I WISH someone had told me when I was flyin’ by the seat of my pants and needed someone to SHOW me HOW to do it. I am so excited to think that I might be contributing in some way to our profession, one SLP at a time!

Thank you again for your wonderful words of encouragement because WORDS mean more to me than anything -imagine that!! Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you!!!

By the way – GREAT name! Laura

8. becky on August 5, 2008 at 9:32 pm

It was so great to hear you talk online because it was the exact answer I was looking for. I just started my 37 month daughter at private therapy for the summer and it was going okay for the first couple weeks and lately she cries as soon as she sees the building or the therapists. She goes for speech, physical, and occupational therapy. She might have apraxia but no one will give us a definite diagnosis but defiantly motor planning issues/dyspraxia. She doesn’t like going to to the speech therapist or physical therapist but seeing the OT is fine. After hearing you say that they should find a way to reach my daughter so she is having fun and getting something out of therapy I realize I really do need to find a different place for her. Thanks for showing me that I knew it just wasn’t right. She shouldn’t be throwing things and not engaging with them.

9. Laura on August 6, 2008 at 7:13 am

Becky – See the difference when a therapist makes it kid-friendly and FUN? If you don’t/can’t look for somewhere else immediately, at least have a frank discussion with them about making it more fun for her like OT does. Don’t buy the line that they “can’t” because it’s “different” from what she likes, or it’s harder (which may be true), so encourage the therapists to try to get to know her and make it more playful. I’m planning on having my OT and PT friends make an appearance on the podcast in the future too to talk about how they make sessions fun. It makes a HUGE difference and it can be done!

Thanks for listening to the show. It looks like Friday afternoons are going to be our regular day from now on! I hope you can catch us live so you can call us!!! Laura

10. Stephanie Lawson on September 8, 2008 at 8:19 am

Laura thank you so much for making your dvd!!!! My mother ordered it for me 2 weeks ago and we watched it and imediately began to implement your techniques. WE INSTANTLY SAW RESULTS!!! My son now has 10 new words and 8 new signs. He is a different child and we owe it all to you.

11. Laura on September 8, 2008 at 6:34 pm