New to this Site?

start

Welcome to teachmetotalk.com!

If this is your first visit, I’d like to tell you how I recommend “first timers” navigate the site because I have TONS of info on here that may not be apparent to you with your first click!

The site is organized in chronological order with the newest entries listed first here on the home page below the green banner.

However, lots of my best information is in the older articles and most of those articles are listed by category in the BLOG section. Click BLOG for a drop down list and choose the topic that most interests you. Once you’ve clicked on that section, you’ll see articles beginning with the most recent. I started this website in 2008 so there are hundreds of posts. You may want to scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit “next page” until you’re all the way back to the beginning of so that you can read those detailed “how to” posts first. I wrote lots and lots and lots of those kinds of posts in 2008 and 2009. The information is still EXCELLENT for parents as well as professionals. If you’re looking for in-depth information, start there!

Another category I’d like to tell you about is in VIDEOS. I have over 35 short (most are less than 10 to 15 minutes) videos here for free in my Therapy Tip of the Week series. You can also watch those on teachmetotalk.com’s  youtube channel. Most of the videos are ideas for a particular toy or activity. I walk you through how to work with toddlers and young preschoolers with language delays and provide suggestions for goals for each issue you might be working on at home or in therapy.

In 2008 I started a podcast where I host a weekly show about topics related to late talking toddlers. I used to do the show with a co-host and you can still hear those, but now I have guests or it’s just me! The podcast has thousands of listeners, both parents of children with developmental delays and professionals who work with young children with language delays. Scroll through the podcasts until you find show titles that are most applicable for your situation. You may also want to subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and listen from your smart phone or another device.

If you’re looking for resources, I’ve developed a whole line of DVD and therapy manuals to help parents and early intervention therapists. Click here for more information about those products.

If you haven’t signed up for my free eBook, do it now! It’s full of information, particularly for parents who are just beginning to search for answers. You’ll also receive updates and special offers when you subscribe including a coupon code for a nice discount on any teachmetotalk.com product.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you find what you’re looking for to help your baby! If not, leave me a comment with your questions, and I’ll try to point you in the right direction.

——————————————————————————-

More information about Laura

1. amtul on September 21, 2010 at 3:14 am

hi,
    my 3yrs old daughter just speaks 10words.we got her ears checked.hearing is good.i need some techniques for speech therapy.

2. jamella on November 12, 2010 at 4:57 am

hi, my name is jamella and i have a 3 and 1/2 yr old daughter that is not at the speech level that she needs to be at the age of 3 and 1/2. my niece is the same age as her but u can understand everything she says clearly..but my daughter on the othr hand is lackin with alot of her grammar and speech. is there anythng u can recommend me do?? i am tryin to get her prepard for whn she turns 4 in a few months.

3. myson on May 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I posted this under the wrong topic earlier (I think)

I am concerned about my 3.5 year old son. He loves to play with other children, but his speech is not always clear. For words that he doesn’t know, he will make up words. He may say, “Mommy, ba dada bi da watch?” Instead of “Mommy, where is my watch?” He knows his colors, can recognize and name ABCs and numbers. He can say around 200+ words. He does use some sentences/phrases like…”I don’t want it”, “stop it”, Daddy at work, mommy upstairs…etc..

He does not attend daycare, but goes to a mommy’s morning out group twice a week. We participate in a local mom’s group for other interaction and go to the park. We read together and attend storytime at our local library. I’m wondering if he is doing okay for a “stay at home child” or if he is “behind”. He is an only child.

At the doctor’s office, his pediatrician asked him the color of something and he was able to tell her and she understood (he said it clearly). Then she asked him what was his favorite thing to eat, but he said Buzz(character from the movie Toy Story). I’m thinking he didn’t understand what she wanted to know. She then asked his name, and he was able to tell her. If he wants to know the name of a child, he usually says, “What name?” Sometimes, kids understand him and some don’t.

Maybe he just has limited vocabulary. I’m not sure. I’d love any advice.

Thanks!

4. Aida D. on May 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm

My 4 year-old.son has been diagnosed with severe expressive and receptive language delay. To make matters worse, he is not in school yet and doesn’t speak English (he was born here in the US). Both my husband and I are native French speakers and it is the only language we use at home.
    While I am aware, that he has a problem and that’s why I had him evaluated. The evaluators were not native speakers and although their language were overall good, we had to correct them a few times (an example the Speech therapist wanted him to show his shoes, but was using a term that is seldom used in France, so my son had no idea what she was talking about; another example is that she didn’t understands baby talk, so she didn’t understand one of my son reply).
    Anyway, my son has a good vocabulary, although his pronunciation is not always correct. however, he doesn’t seem to get more complex question such as “why” In this case, he becomes echolalic. He does understands 2 parts commands (although he might get lost in his thought in a middle of it).
    We are looking to have him in a center-based preschool as it was recommended that he undergoes speech and occupational therapy, but the issue of the language worries me. What do you think ???
    A confused mom…

5. Kelly Ripplinger on June 16, 2011 at 11:48 am

New to this all. 18 month old who speaks no words and it is appearing he will be diagnosed with Receptive and Speech delays,,We are heart broken for him. There is also some thing with his ears,,,with negative pressure but not alot,,,However it bothers him…hearing we believe is ok as they have not said different after both tests.

Thank you for this website as we begin this process….

6. Julie M on August 20, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Hello Laura,

My little grandson is 19 mo. and says, no and eye once in a while but he does not say anything else. He first said these words around 12 mos, but has not increased how often he says them nor has he added any more words. At 8 mos he became very ill and several types of antibiotics did not work, which resulted in a 4 mo. long illness with a 4 mo. ear infection and fevers. Since being sick, along with his lack of speaking he has terrible night terrors and his weight and height are less than 5% on growth chart. I know this is more a medical question, but I wondered if you know of any speech problem that goes along with these other issues? I’m trying to gather all the info I can. Thanks

7. Kathy on October 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Can’t seem to find any credentials for Laura listed on the site,

8. Laura on October 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm

That somehow disappeared in the website upgrade! Check out “About” in the contacts section. Laura

9. Tiffany on December 2, 2011 at 2:34 pm

My son is 2 yrs and 7 months. At 1 year 7 months we had his hearing tested due to endless ear infections, and we were told he had not been hearing for 6-9 months. In Jan. 2011 we had tubes put in and he started speech therapy. He has about 20 signs that he can do, he babbles again now (which has been a huge milestone) and he says go, wawa(water), and some individual sounds such as k, ch, st, and the occasional m sound that comes and goes. I know he is very frusterated, and so am I. Do you have any suggestions? I know he is very delayed but I feel like we are doing everything we can…do I need to stop pushing so hard and just let him develop, or do I just need to keep pushing full speed? Thanks!

10. Laura on December 3, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Tiffany – PUSH FULL SPEED! Keep up your therapy, otherwise, he’ll be at risk to keep falling further and further behind, and you really want him to be as ready for schoola s he can be. He has a long way to go, so being laid back about it will likely not help him at all. Not hearing for so long certainly is a big deal, so it will take some time. How is he understanding language? Is he following directions now? I’d pay special attention to his comprehension. If that is coming along and near an age-appropriate level but his expressive skills aren’t, then you may have to look at another diagnosis/area of concern in addition to the problem with his ear infections. If his receptive skills are not near an age-appropriate level, then this is the reason he’s not talking yet. Push to help him understand more words and then he’ll say more words. What does his SLP think? Does she talk to you about concerns with receptive skills, or is she purely targeting expressive language? You’ll need to ask her about this so you’re both on the same page. You may also want to taek a look at my DVDs to be sure you’re using play-based activities to target language at home so that you’re doing all you can in a developmentally appropriate way which will be more motivating for him. Good luck to you all! Laura

11. Caroline on December 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hi, My son is almost two and says a few words sometimes but not consistently and has dropped some. The one is says is “mom” but that’s it. Can you advise? He isn’t great with his food either.

Any advice at all will be appreciated

Regards and thanks